Waunakee Utilities is dedicated to meeting our customers' needs while helping to make the community a better place to live and work.
Waunakee Utilities is one of this country's 2,200 public power systems - a utility owned by the people and the community it serves.
A seven-person utility commission, appointed by the Village Board, decides how to operate Waunakee Utilities. This local representation and control gives citizens a voice in how our utility can best meet the community's needs.
We're proud to be your locally owned and operated utility.
We take our responsibility to you very seriously. We know you want reliable power at an affordable cost. You also want a utility provider who cares enough to go the extra mile today.
To ensure that we're here for a long, long time, we share resources with other local utilities. In fact, we're co-owners of a nonprofit, Sun Prairie-based power company, WPPI Energy. Through WPPI Energy, we purchase low-cost electricity for our community and take advantage of the latest technologies to better serve your needs.
There are 82 municipal electric utilities in Wisconsin. Like Waunakee Utilities, these communities believe that public power is the best choice for their communities and citizens. Here are a few of the reasons why:
- Community Ownership - A community-owned utility is owned by the city or municipality it serves. It exists to provide a public service to the residents and businesses of the community. Service -- rather than profit -- is the utility's mission.
- Local Control and Regulation - The rates and services of a municipal utility are governed by the city itself, either through the city commission or an appointed or elected utility authority. Thus, the utility is governed by residents of the community who are also customers of the utility and are thoroughly familiar with its operations and services.
- Quick On-Site Response - We work hard to make sure you don't experience a power outage. Some things like storms and accidents are out of our control. If an outage occurs, we're always just a few minutes away. We'll get to the problem and fix it as quickly as we possibly can.
- Efficient Operation - Since one of our goals is to be the low-cost provider of electric service, our current and future advantage lies in our efficient operation. Our expenses are substantially lower than those of a private power company.
- Keeping Dollars in the Community - There are many ways a municipal utility helps to maintain a sound local economy by keeping energy dollars in the community creating jobs and supporting the local economy, serving as an engine for economic development, and providing quality service. Municipal utilities make significant payments-in-lieu-of-taxes to the city. Over the past the past five years Waunakee Utilities has paid more than $1.5 million to keep our taxes lower. On average, municipal utility rates are competitive and often lower than those of other utilities. Competitive rates means more dollars are available to spend on other goods and services, which boosts the local economy.
- Community Values - Decisions about the operation of a municipal utility are made locally by members of the community at open, public meetings. Because all decisions are made locally, a municipal utility is uniquely able to respond to the community's needs, build on the community's strengths and reflect and advance the community's values.